MIAMI SHORES REAL ESTATE BIGGEST SALES
*as of June 01, 2018
WE HAVE THE KEY TO YOUR DREAM HOME. CHECK OUT REAL ESTATE PROPERTIES FOR SALE IN MIAMI SHORES .
#RealEstate #RealEstateSouthFlorida #RealEstateMiamiShores
Call now for real estate inquiries! 305-741-2142 or visit www.ralphmagin.com
Barry University is one of the prestigious universities in Florida. The institution provides facilities and training that emphasizes well-rounded education by offering various courses majors, minors, specializations, and elective courses. The university is located in Miami that has a diverse population which is an ideal location for earning a degree.
HISTORY AND LEGACY
In June 1940, a 40 acre tract of lush, tropical vegetation located in Miami Shores was transformed into one of the leading centers of education in South Florida. Founded by the Most Reverend Patrick Barry, Bishop of St. Augustine, and Reverend Mother M. Gerald Barry, prioress General of the Dominican Sisters of Adrian, Michigan, and supported by Reverend Monsignor William Barry and Mayor of Miami Shores John Graves Thompson, Barry University offers a supportive atmosphere, intellectual excellence and an 800-year tradition of truth-seeking and dedication to service.
In the years since Barry first opened its doors, the campus has expanded to more than 122 acres and 17 locations throughout Florida, including seven Schools and two Colleges with numerous liberal arts and professional disciplines.
Today, the Barry University community is comprised of nearly 9,000 students, served by more than 2,100 administrators, faculty members and support staff from a wide range of religious, cultural and ethnic backgrounds. The faculty and administration have worked closely together to serve the student population and the local community surrounding the University, where our expansion and growth have kept pace with excellence in education programs.
The tropical beauty of Barry University includes 54 buildings, with indoor and outdoor athletic facilities, spread over 80 of our 122-acre campus. Imagine the ideal South Florida climate combined with natural beauty and an atmosphere conducive to learning and continued personal development.
Barry University has had six Adrian Dominican Sisters serve as president since its inception. They include: Mother M. Gerald Barry, 1940-1961; Mother M. Genevieve Weber, 1962-1963; Sister Dorothy Browne, 1963-1974; Sister M. Trinita Flood, 1974-1981; Sister Jeanne O’Laughlin, 1981-2004; and Sister Linda Bevilacqua, July 2004 – present.
1940S AND 50S: HARD WORK, SACRIFICE AND A TOUCH OF ‘HILARITY’
Miami was tranquil that warm September when Barry students returned for the second year, but the bombing of Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 shattered that tranquility. The war brought fear and uncertainty, along with shortages and rationing, to the campus and the country. But the Sisters at Barry forged ahead with their work. In fact, the Sisters, working in the lab in Adrian Hall, would sometimes become so engrossed in their work that they would forget to close the curtains on the windows facing NE Second Avenue. This lapse would not have created a problem during peace time. However, after the United States entered World War II on December 8, 1941, the law required that blackout curtains be installed on every window in every building on campus. So when the dedicated sisters forgot three nights in a row, the chief of police appeared and, according to Sister Rita Cecile’s taped memoirs, threatened to arrest them if they did not shut the curtains.
Growth was steady in the years following World War II, and by 1950, the student population numbered 290 and was comprised of young women from 20 states and eight foreign countries including Formosa, China, Japan, Germany and Iran. In 1953, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing program was established and four years later, the charter class of 19 nurses received their degrees. In 1954, a graduate department was opened with courses leading to the Master of Arts degree with major in English as well as Master of Arts or Science degrees with a major in education.
On the less serious side, a highlight of the 1958 school year was the visit of comic Bob Hope, who received the honorary degree, Doctor of Hilaritatis.
1960S: A TIME OF CHANGE
As Barry celebrated the 20th anniversary of its founding in 1960, the student body was almost 800 strong and the institution was accepted as a member of the Association of Independent Colleges of Florida. However, in the early part of the decade Barry lost two of its founders. Mother Gerald Barry passed away in November of 1961 and co-founder John G. Thompson died in April of 1962.
Two years later, after mourning the death of President John F. Kennedy, the Barry community celebrated the inauguration of Sister Dorothy Browne, OP, as president on February 5, 1964. She followed in the footsteps of Mother Genevieve Weber, OP, who was named the second President of Barry College after Mother Gerald Barry’s death in 1961.
The fact that the 1960s was a time of dramatic change, one when the established order was often questioned, is perhaps best evidenced by a 1964 commentary in the Angelicus, (formerly the Barry College Digest), in which the editor discussed previously taboo topics, such as standards of dress, sex and the Barry College girl and the value of required retreat.
But not all the changes of that decade were disconcerting. The Monsignor William Barry Library opened in 1967, and the Wiegand Center, housing science laboratories, classrooms and a language center, was completed in 1970.
1970S: THE COEDS HAVE ARRIVED
The 1970s was a time of restructuring and transition for Barry. The Faculty Senate was established in 1972 as the organization through which the faculty would “formally and systematically” participate in the governance of Barry College. After Sister Dorothy tendered her resignation stating that the institution would be “moved forward more effectively by a younger person,” Sister Trinita Flood, OP, became the fourth president of Barry College on July 1, 1974.
But perhaps the biggest change to the Barry campus came on October 17, 1975 when the Board of Trustees voted to admit males to all undergraduate departments. Men had been accepted into graduate programs since 1954, but now – after 35 years – Barry was truly coeducational.
Another big development came in February of 1978 when Barry College launched a $12 million endowment and capital funds campaign. This represented a dramatic departure from earlier years when the bulk of the college’s operating budget came from tuition and fees paid by the students, the contributed salaries of the Adrian Dominican Sisters and gifts and grants.
1980S: ‘SHAKING’ THINGS UP
The beginning of the 1980s was an exciting time at Barry. On November 13, 1981, Barry College officially became Barry University and Sister Jeanne O’Laughlin, OP, PhD, was installed as the school’s fifth president and the first president of Barry University. Florida Governor Bob Graham also proclaimed November 13 as Barry University Day.
Working with the Executive Committee of the Administration, Sister Jeanne set ambitious goals for Barry’s future, including raising the quality of student life, expanding Barry’s commitment to Florida and probing religious issues of the time.
Committed to helping students, faculty and staff live the Barry mission, she devised the “midnight shakes” test. According to her theory, someone could steal into a Barry person’s bedroom, shake that person awake and ask, “What is your mission?” thereby eliciting the prompt response, “Our mission is to offer a quality education, ensure a religious dimension and provide community service within a caring environment.”
Growth continued at a brisk pace. In the 1984-1985 year, the Andreas School of Business and a 96-bed residence hall represented the first new construction on campus in 14 years. The School of Podiatric Medicine, which has now graduated nearly 1,000 podiatric physicians, was established the next year.
At the same time, Barry athletics made great strides as the university became a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, Division II, built a new outdoor athletic facility, and added a full-time athletic director, six coaches and a trainer to the staff.
1990S: THE WORLD TAKES NOTICE
By the time Barry University marked its 50th anniversary in 1990, the ratio of faculty to students remained 14 to 1, but everything else had changed. The past decade alone had brought enormous changes to Barry’s campus. Enrollment had soared from 1,750 in 1981 to 5,900. Undergraduate majors had doubled from 25 to 50. In 1981, Barry University had awarded 475 degrees and in 1990, the number awarded was 1,316. In 1981, there had been no doctoral candidates; in 1990 Barry University graduated 46. To accommodate the growing student population, buildings on campus increased from 16 to 40.
In fact, not only was the student population growing, it was also diversifying. Barry was now serving more international and minority students. Students were older and males accounted for 38 percent of the enrollment.
Led by Sister Jeanne O’Laughlin, the 1990s was also a time when Barry raised its profile in South Florida and across the nation. Sister Jeanne became the first woman ever appointed to the Orange Bowl Committee and brought nationwide publicity to Barry University when she was profiled on the CBS Evening News in “The Best People” segment.
During this time Barry also continued to advance its mission to serve its neighbors and the community. When Hurricane Andrew struck South Florida on August 24, 1992, everyone pitched in from the campus ministry office to the maintenance department. The Barry Hurricane Andrew Relief Fund and the daycare center were established. The university also offered room and board to the military personnel brought in to provide security and to assist with the rebuilding.
2000-2010: BACK TO THE FUTURE
Barry University marked its entrance into the third millennium by successfully completing an enormous undertaking. The first commencement at Barry University School of Law was held on January 15, 2000. The ceremony was a source of pride to all those in the Barry community who had worked diligently to help the university acquire the Law School in 1999. More reason to celebrate came in fall of 2006 when, just seven years after being acquired, the Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law received full accreditation from the American Bar Association’s Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admission to the Bar.
The Law School continued to make its mark on the national scene in 2007 when it received a grant from the Eckerd Family Foundation to start the Juvenile Justice Center (JCC). The Center trains lawyers and law students to represent children accused of crimes in Florida’s juvenile delinquency system. In 2008, the JCC received a grant from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation to participate in the newly created Models for Change Juvenile Indigent Defense Action Network (JIDAN). In this role, the JCC works in partnership with the JIDAN to pursue reforms that strengthen juvenile indigent defense systems.
Another milestone in Barry’s history came on June 30, 2004, when Sister Jeanne retired after more than 20 years of service. She was succeeded by Sister Linda Bevilacqua, OP, PhD, who became not only the sixth president of Barry University but the first alumna to hold that position. Since her days as an undergraduate student, Sister Linda’s career in higher education has been linked to the University. She has held many leadership positions at Barry including Dean of Student Affairs, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the School of Professional And Career Education.
During the 2008-2009 academic year, Sister Linda oversaw the final stages of the reorganization of the University’s academic division into two colleges and seven schools: the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Nursing and Health Sciences, the Andreas School of Business, the Adrian Dominican School of Education, the Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law as well as the Schools of School of Professional And Career Education (PACE), Human Performance and Leisure Sciences (HPLS), Podiatric Medicine and Social Work.
Always respected for its service to the South Florida community, Barry’s ties to community partners were revitalized and strengthened during the past decade. In 2008, for example, the Barry Institute for Community and Economic Development (BICED) was formed under the auspices of the School of Business. BICED provides need-based information and business skill development specifically targeted to select Miami-Dade communities.
The face of the campus also changed dramatically in the first decade of the 21st century as several building projects were completed during this period, including O’Laughlin Hall, in 2000, Kolasa Hall in 2002, the Landon Student Union in 2004, Benincasa Hall in 2005 and the Silvester Tower in 2006. The development of the “west 40,” a 40-acre tract of land west of North Miami Avenue continued with completion of Phase I of the Institute for Community Health and Minority Medicine. With its three-phase development plan, the Center houses classroom, research and clinical facilities used to train tomorrow’s health care professionals and to conduct research on diseases that disproportionately affect minority populations and underserved communities.
The history of Barry University is a witness to the rise of an institution that develops globally competitive individuals who are making the loud sound of success.
Credit sources: barry.edu
#RealEstate #RealEstateSouthFlorida #RealEstateMiamiShores
Check out homes for sale in Miami Shores. Contact Ralph Magin, your trusted real estate agent, at 305-741-2142 or visit http://ralphmagin.com/ for real estate inquiries.